Unit 11: Social-Emotional Play
As we head into unit 11 and talk all about social-emotional play, I want to remind you of all of the things you’re already doing with your baby.
Without even thinking about it, you’re adding in little pieces of each of these play experiences and I hope watching these units is helping you to see that.
Once we finish reviewing all six types of play, we’ll have a unit specifically designed to help you discover how to tie it all together and be even more intentional with our play time.
Let’s dive in to today’s lesson!
WHAT IS SOCIAL-EMOTIONAL PLAY?
Social-emotional play teaches your baby how to experience, express, and manage emotions and promotes the ability to establish positive and rewarding relationships with others.
Essential, this teaches your baby how to engage with and interact with other people. It also helps your baby to better understand their emotions and how to become more empathetic to other people’s emotions.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF SOCIAL-EMOTIONAL PLAY?
1. Social-emotional play helps your baby to identify and understand emotions.
2. It teaches your baby to read and comprehend emotional states in others.
3. It gives your baby the tools to manage strong emotions and express these feelings constructively.
4. And it helps your baby to establish and maintain relationships with others.
ASSIGNMENT: REFLECT ON HOW YOU CAN ADD SOCIAL-EMOTIONAL PLAY TO YOUR DAILY ROUTINE.
1. Does social-emotional play come naturally to you or will you have to be more intentional about adding this to your play routine?
2. What examples in this module or activities you’ve found online can you use to inspire your social-emotional play?
3. How can you find social-emotional play opportunities in the tasks you’re already doing and the things that are already around you?
Send me an email with your reflections. Let me know if you’ve ever heard of this type of play before and how you play to add this to your play routine.
COMING NEXT: SPEECH AND COMMUNICATION PLAY
Have a question for our next Group Coaching Call? Submit your question here.