Unit 8: Gross Motor Play
Welcome to the first unit of Module 2! Now that you’ve learned about the baby play basics, it’s time to dive in our first type of baby play – gross motor play.
WHAT IS GROSS MOTOR PLAY?
Gross motor play is play that helps your baby with large muscle development, and usually involves arms, legs and the whole torso.
Think anything that moves those big muscle groups and helps build skills for head control, rolling, sitting, crawling, and standing.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF GROSS MOTOR PLAY?
1. Gross motor play helps your baby gain strength and body confidence.
2. It gives your baby exercise and physical activity.
3. And it develops skills to do more complex skills in future activities
ASSIGNMENT: REFLECT ON HOW YOU CAN ADD GROSS MOTOR PLAY TO YOUR DAILY ROUTINE.
1. Does gross motor play come naturally to you or will you have to be more intentional about adding this to your play routine?
2. What examples in this module or activities you’ve found online can you use to inspire your gross motor play?
3. How can you find gross motor play opportunities in the tasks you’re already doing and the things that are already around you?
Send me an email with your reflections and any ah-ha moments you had in this unit.
COMING NEXT: FINE MOTOR SKILLS PLAY
Have a question for our next Group Coaching Call? Submit your question here.